Today I’m going to show you how I like to set up my KSD Siamese Hybrid. If you’re not familiar with this device, basically it is a very compact dripping atomizer and mod all rolled into one. You’ll see it above next to the Vaporshark DNA 20 for scale. It is really nice and small, even in 18500 mode, and super lightweight.
It is designed for 18350 batteries, however it will telescope to fit an 18500 battery, which is what I have in there now.
The posts on the Siamese are set up staggered, with the negative post screwing directly into the deck. For this reason, you aren’t going to get a horizontal setup to work as easily, but that’s no problem because you can always rig up a verticoil. Here’s a picture of the deck:
And a side view:
Here’s how I like to do it…
What You’ll Need
- Kanthal wire – I strongly recommend 28 gauge
- 3/32 drill bit – pick them up at walmart for around $1
- Cotton ball – get sterile cotton balls from CVS
- Scissors – something to clip the wire and trim off the cotton
- KSD Siamese – Pick it up on Fasttech for around $20
Step 1: Wrapping the Coil
Wrap a tight micro coil around your 3/32 drill bit. See this tutorial if you are unfamiliar with wrapping a microcoil.
For this tutorial I made 10 wraps of 28ga Kanthal and it came out to around 1.7 ohms.
Speaking of which – probably the most important thing to know about this mod, is that because it’s a hybrid, you aren’t going to be able to check your ohms like you normally would. If you have a multi-meter like I do, you can still easily check them. If not, you need to be extremely careful. In fact, if you are not very experienced with RBAs, I wouldn’t even recommend proceeding further without a multimeter. You can pick up a basic one at Walmart for around $20 and it is a useful tool to have for all sorts of things.
If you insist on proceeding any further without a multimeter, I would definitely play it on the safe side. Like I said already, I came out to about 1.7 ohms with 10 wraps, so that is a good starting point.
Since we can’t use 18650 batteries on this mod, you are not going to want to go too deep into sub ohm territory either. This is a mod best used at above 1 ohm, which is why I suggest a microcoil and the 3/32 diameter coil.
Now that that’s out of the way, I’m assuming you’ve wrapped your coil around the drill bit. Stand it up in between the two posts and carefully attach the bottom leg to the negative post. Once that is secured, it will be a lot easier to attach the top one. Keep the drill bit in place.
It’s OK if your coil is touching the atty deck for now. What I did was get my coil secured, then used a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry it up so that it’s a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the deck.
Here’s what mine looks like:
Notice that it is spaced very evenly between the two posts. This is what you want.
Step 2: Applying the Wick
Take out a small chunk of cotton ball and roll about half of it up between your fingers until it is thin enough to thread through the coil. For this one, I thread it through the top and out the bottom.
For this particular setup what I have been doing is leaving the bulk of the wick above the coil with just a small tail below to soak up any juice on the deck.
So pull the wick through until you get to the unrolled part – then it should kind of stick itself in place. Wrap the tail towards the other side of the deck. It doesn’t really matter where it goes.
Then take a sharp scissors and cut off the excess on the top portion – you want to leave about 1/2 inch of cotton above the coil, give or take. If you leave too much, it might droop down and obstruct the coil once it’s swelled from juice, so make sure you don’t leave too much, but you want to have a nice thick chunk sitting above the coil.
Here’s what mine looks like:
And another angle:
Now, prime it with juice. Get it good and saturated, and make absolutely sure the top part isn’t going to droop down on you. Here’s what mine looks like swelled up:
If you’re in the ballpark, you are ready to go. Fire this baby up and start vaping. Here’s how mine hits:
The Bottom Line
It’s not a bad little device. It actually works pretty well and it is super lightweight. One thing I will note, is that I drilled the airhole out on mine to 3/32, which is pretty wide by my standards. That is why I am able to get so much vapor out of it. If you keep the stock hole, the throat hit is going to be a lot more intense and you won’t get nearly as much vapor.
This setup only takes a couple minutes, and it works pretty good. This is a perfect little stealth vape.